I received a political Conundrum chain mail. I thought it only appropriate to rebuttal, not in favor or against a party, but to highlight reality, the power of propaganda & the lack of research or critical thinking.
Feel free to refute my responses, I am always up for sharpening the saw. Below, my responses are not bolded. Watch out for hyperlinks for additional resources.
- America is capitalist and greedy – yet half of the population is subsidized.
Americans actually pay more taxes, when you consider all the hidden taxes, annual income and state tax, sales tax etc full taxes/fees Americans pay is:
- Federal income tax
- State income tax
- Local income tax
- Employee social security tax (your employer pays the other half)
- Employee Medicare tax (your employer pays the other half)
- Property taxes
- Road toll charges
- State sales tax
- Driver’s license renewal fee
- TV Cable/Satellite fees & taxes
- Federal telephone surtax, excise tax, and universal surcharge
- State telephone excise tax and surcharge
- Telephone minimum usage and recurring/nonrecurring charges tax
- Gas/electric bill fees & taxes
- Water/sewer fees & taxes
- Cigarette tax
- Alcohol tax
- Federal gasoline tax
- State gasoline tax
- Local gasoline tax
- Federal inheritance tax
- State inheritance tax
- Gift tax
- Bridge toll charges
- Marriage license
- Hunting license
- Fishing license
- Bike license fee
- Dog permit/license
- State park permit
- Watercraft registration & licensing fees
- Sports stadium tax
- Bike/nature trail permit
- Court case filing fee
- Retirement account early withdrawal penalty
- Individual health insurance mandate tax
- Hotel stay tax
- Plastic surgery surcharge
- Soda/fatty-food tax
- Air transportation tax
- Electronic transmission of tax return fees
- Passport application/renewal fee
- Luxury & gas-guzzler car taxes
- New car surcharge
- License plate and car ownership transfer taxes
- Yacht and luxury boat taxes
- Jewelry taxes & surcharges
- State/local school tax
- Recreational vehicle tax
- Special assessments for road repairs or construction
- Gun ownership permit
- Kiddie tax (IRS form 8615)
- Fuel gross receipts tax
- Waste Management tax
- Oil and gas assessment tax
- Use taxes (on out-of-state purchase)
- IRA rollover tax/withdrawal penalties
- Tax on non-qualified health saving account distributions
- Individual and small business surtax (page 336 of Obamacare)
- Estimated income tax underpayment penalty
- Alternative Minimum Tax on income
- Business Taxes & Fees
- Federal corporate income tax
- State corporate income tax
- Tax registration fee for new businesses
- Employer social security tax
- Employer Medicare tax
- Federal unemployment tax
- State unemployment tax
- Business registration renewal tax
- Worker’s compensation tax
- Tax on imported/exported goods
- Oil storage/inspection fees
- Employer health insurance mandate tax
- Excise Tax on Charitable Hospitals (page 2001/Sec. 9007 of Obamacare)
- Tax on Innovator Drug Companies (Page 2010/Sec. 9008 of Obamacare)
- Tax on Medical Device Manufacturers (Page 2020/Sec. 9009 of Obamacare)
- Tax on Health Insurers (Page 2026/Sec. 9010 of Obamacare)
- Excise Tax on Comprehensive Health Insurance Plans, i.e. “Cadillac” plans
- Tax on indoor tanning services
- Utility users tax
- Internet transaction fee (passed in California; being considered in other states and at federal level)
- Professional license fee (accountants, lawyers, barbers, dentists, plumbers, etc.)
- Franchise business tax
- Tourism and concession license fee
- Wiring inspection fees
- Household employment tax
- Biodiesel fuel tax
- FDIC tax (insurance premium on bank deposits)
- Electronic waste recycling fee
- Hazardous material disposal fee
- Food & beverage license fee
- Estimated income tax underpayment penalty
- Building/construction permit
- Zoning permit fees
Therefore, while it would appear the lump taxes are paid by “socialist” countries, such as Denmark, France etc, in totality Americans pay more, when you consider education is not “free”, healthcare is not “free” and disproportionate. It would appear at a glance we pay 24% taxes compared to their 40%, but when you take into account my education, healthcare, daycare costs, nursing home care etc and taxes on top of this, I actually pay 67% ‘taxes’ for the same services received in Denmark etc. and in cases of nursing homes, you will lose all your assets, so that’s 100% nice try though.
The brunt of our tax dollars are being lost in hidden industries, such as prisons, which has increased incarceration at 600% is the past 30 years but has not made our society any better, though is becoming more and more privatized, so body counts cover corporate stakeholders, all while spewing propaganda that the masses eat up, such as emails like this.
Capitalist on a major level are, you know the folks who can actually sponsor a legislature, not on our level, yes.
- Half of the population is subsidized – yet they think they are victims.
Why does the word “victim” come up, any one who is getting screwed by the government is indeed, fight them not your people. Half of the population is subsidized because hidden industry is eating away at the tax dollars we pay. 8 trillion dollars recently went missing in defense, I heard no major news reporting this, and no one seems to care. This is public records, because it has to. Accounting clearly shows purchases for items already over stocked in inventory, yet purchased even more. As well as money that was paid out with no explanation as to why, or straight out not accounted for. The government does not have to explain, Sovereign Immunity. If not for the lack of accountability, perhaps we’d have better schools, better healthcare, better everything instead of your taxes dollars disappearing quietly to private companies and in fact other countries. The solution is being mistaken for Socialism (which is not a dirty word, more propaganda) the truth is it would be government accountability with our dollars, good luck with that one however.
- They think they are victims – yet their representatives run the government.
Who thinks they are a victim? None of the hard-working broke people I know, that’s largely an illusion to propagate people into thinking they should work more hours and live more like dogs in order to be legit. Representatives do not represent us. They represent whoever they are sponsored by, private corporations, ya know, such as pharmaceutical companies, weapons industry, prisons, etc. where the money comes back. “the money” our money, and get caught on nominal debating such as we need to cut food stamps, please…
- Their representatives run the government – yet the poor keep getting poorer.
All people are getting poorer, but you see it most at the bottom because the bottom earners are working for the least amount of money, the agenda is siphoning more and more cash away from everyone. You’ll see the hurt at the bottom first obviously, you’ll assume it’s one sides fault over another, it’s a rouse.
- The poor keep getting poorer – yet they have things that people in other countries only dream about.
Perhaps, this hasn’t been a third world country in any of our lifetimes, if it were you can expect a total anarchy, you have to let the people keep some of their earnings after all… The government hardly hands out help, I should know. This is a non-logical sentence all around.
- They have things that people in other countries only dream about – yet they want America to be more like those other countries.
Who are they? Us, as in all of us? People of America want more accountability from the government but they are conflicted with how to make that happen. They are generally stupid and thoroughly confused, and the propaganda all over keeps them that way, as intended. It’s sustainable by stupid emails like this.
Think about it! And that, my friends, pretty much sums up the USA in the 21st Century. Makes you wonder who is doing the math.
I have thought about it, it’s nearly all I think about. But no one is listening. No one is doing the REAL math, people are staying confused and blissfully unaware but for bitching and taking zero action, thinking their way is the right way and their votes count. It matters? Join me in protest! I thought not…
These three, short sentences tell you a lot about the direction of our current government and cultural environment:
These sentence tell me how I should I think and not to conduct my own research, but I know better.
- We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.
Wrong, at one time “colors” couldn’t share the same area as whites, “japs” couldn’t either, now what? Women couldn’t get jobs, credit, or vote, we still are getting screwed in many ways. Now Muslims, history should have taught us something, but it turns out not. We were just celebrating the death of a great Muslim, Ali, and now we are condemning all? HAS HISTORY TAUGHT NO ONE NOTHING?!?
I’m sorry, why did you all fight for civil rights again? Why don’t you undo that… No, obviously because it’s stupid.
The problem is psychos.
No one is threatening to take away guns, again propaganda.
The suggestion is heavy artillery, which only became legal in 2005 when mass shooting significantly increased.
Furthermore, agreed, maybe laws won’t stop anyone from getting their hands on a AR15 if illegal, but I have yet to see a person use it for legal purposes, such as stopping one of these mass shootings.
Fighting to keep that kind of gun seems stubborn just for the sake of. Switzerland gun ownership is 1 in 2 people, who are trained young and all must serve the country at least 2 years. Theres a respect for artillery, finally, automatic weapons are banned there.
Switzerland has the lowest gun incident rating. The answer is, no one is judging gun owners, people are judging automatic weapons and lunatics, duh
At least better background checks, hell it’s easier to get a gun than it is sudafed.
Funny how that works. And here’s another one worth considering…
- Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. But we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money! What’s interesting is the first group “worked for”their money, but the second didn’t.
Yes, of course we do, that’s part of propaganda honey. First, our highest expense is “defense”, you know where money disappears and NO ONE is talking about it. Second is Social security, why? The largest portion of our population retiring and the greedy government does not want to give up our money, so they have to blame it on an expense lower of the total poll, social programs. Yeah, the area where people are making such low money, taxed to death, paying for private insurance, college and so forth that they should also take the blame for this.
The government can’t after all. Feel free to do away with those programs, it will not happen. Why? Because then my dear when parents have starving children you will see an anarchy like no other, the government can’t have that.
Think about it…..and Last but not least
- Why are we cutting benefits for our veterans, no pay raises for our military and cutting our army to a level lower than before WWII, but we are not stopping the payments or benefits to illegal aliens.
Are you serious, really, did you not read anything I stated above. Please review, government hustlers pitting one another against each other to take the focus off them, judging by the content of this, it worked like magic.
Am I the only one missing something?
You are many of the sheeple who are, yes you’re missing a lot
“If you do not take an interest in the affairs of your government, then you are doomed to live under the rule of fools.” – Plato
Awesome quotes do not make a tidbit any more credible. Stop drinking the kool-aid and focus on all politicians and not the circus of dividing. Lets stat evaluating the Electoral system.